Living Well Church of the Nazarene was planted in 2007 with a core group from Parkway House of Prayer in Vinton. Pastor Jeff Keaton the Pastor of Parkway House of Prayer contacted the former Pastor of Parkway-Steve Parker and asked him if he would pray about planting a Church in Salem. Pastor Steve wanted to remain a part of the Church of the Nazarene so it was decided to contact the District Superintendent about this possibility. The former Salem Church of the Nazarene was closed and permission to plant the Living Well Church of the Nazarene was given by Dr. Phil Fuller the District Superintendent. The group out-grew their building and after nine years have now moved into their new building at 4335 West Main St Salem. Living Well has sent out several full time Pastors and continues to train leaders to carry the gospel beyond their four walls.
We knew from the day the first group met in the gym of Parkway House of Prayer that we wanted to be a church that reached beyond it’s four walls and touched the world.
- Our Motto from day one, ”Our Church has left the Building and has found Jesus working in the streets, we have joined Him”.
- Our Mission, has been the great commission, “Making Christ-like Disciples”.
- Our Mandate, comes from our key verse- John 7:37-38 “Jesus stood and cried in a loud voice, “Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. 38 Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.” We believe we are under obligation to make Jesus know to all we know.
- We believe in one God – the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the inspiration of the Bible, Old and New Testament, which inerrantly reveals God’s will and everything we need for a life of faith and following Jesus.
- We believe that sin separates us from God, and that sin is both depravity (original sin) and actual sin (knowingly disobeying God).
- We believe you must repent of your sin to be saved, and that atonement comes only through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
- We believe that each person has been granted the freedom by God to choose between right and wrong. We must choose to receive God’s grace and then choose to live out His grace. A person can forfeit their salvation, even though they have been a Christian, if they choose to continue in Sin.
- We believe that the person who believes in Jesus Christ is forgiven of all sin, made a new creation in Christ, and is adopted into God’s family.
- We believe that Christians are called to a life of surrender to God. We believe in the church, the covenant community of faith, called together by the Holy Spirit.
- We believe that Baptism and the Lord’s Supper are sacraments commanded by Jesus, whereby the grace of God is ministered to His church.
- We believe that God can and does heal the sick, and God also heals through the means of medical science.
- We believe that Jesus Christ will return.
- We believe in the bodily resurrection of every person, the final judgment, in which every person will appear before God and that all believers will enjoy eternal life and those who choose not to repent will receive eternal judgment.